Friday, November 9, 2012

Hixson Award

It is hard to explain what the Hixson award really means to me. There is the obvious appreciation financially, the approximate $15,000 in funds for college will help enormously toward my goal of graduation debt free form college. Then, there's another well seen fact of it being the largest independently funded scholarship at Iowa State that makes one proud of being apart of the Christina Hixson Opportunity Awards, but if you ask me, as a recipient myself, the Hixson award goes deeper than that.

In my short time at Iowa State University, and with the Hixson program, I have a couple of reasons to believe that what Christina Hixson is doing at Iowa State, as well as at other colleges, is no ordinary donation. After meeting with Christina herself, I can see for myself her expectations for all of us in the Hixson program. With less than 1.3% of Iowa State students being Hixson Scholars, we represent a small, but powerful group of people.

Because the Hixson Award is seldom among college students, I'm very thankful for the opportunity   , but I sill feel something more from this scholarship. I won numerous other scholarships upon graduating high school, but it seems that none have pushed me as much as this one. I feel obligated to succeed as a Hixson scholar, and not only when I take a miss-step do I feel I let myself down, but I also feel that I let down my peer's, and maybe even Christina Hixson. This scholarship is a tremendous opportunity  and step in the right direction toward the direction I wish to proceed my career, as well as my life. I don't only wish to be thankful, but I want to be a good representative of  my peers in the Hixson program, to prove what a tremendous thing it is to be apart of.

1 comment:

  1. agree with the feeling of importance for receiving such a large financial award

    ReplyDelete