Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What I've Learned

It is hard to believe that my first semester at Iowa State University only consists of one last week of classes, followed by finals week. It seems like just yesterday I refused to sign up for Destination Iowa State, and met my roommate for the first time. A lot has changed for me since moving to Ames, and it has been nothing short of a huge adjustment for me, but all in all, I can sort-of say that I have grown from my experiences in the past sixteen weeks.

There are many classic examples that High School seniors hear from others about the differences in college, but it never really hits a person until they go through it. I had been on five campus visits, stayed two weekends with my sister in her dorm on campus, and explored Ames numerous times before this fall, and as ready as I thought I was for the change, it still hit me. I learned the hard way, as much of us did, that my study habits were crap: on a good day. Crazy enough, with only finals left to be added to my grades in almost all of my classes, I can say I have learned from my stubbornness, and I'm satisfied with my grades.

I have also been able to expand my horizons, and make new friends. As fun of an experience college is, it would be one boring day after day if you did nothing but studied and went to class. By socializing and trying new things, my new friends and I have made it a transition to the "free life," and yet I still have been able to keep up my grades which is an accomplishment considering how easy it can be to fall behind. All in all, I look forward to even more opportunities moving forward through college, because of my experience in the past few months. I have seen the vast opportunities presented in college, and one semester is nowhere near enough to find your belonging at Iowa State University.

No comments:

Post a Comment